Website Copywriting Essentials
Website copywriting is much more demanding than standard writing. This is because visitors to a website lack the patience and diligence that offline readers have. Therefore as website designers or business owners you should ensure that your website copy has the following essentials.
1. Your copy should be easy to read. Since most visitors lack patience you need to give them the information they are looking for almost immediately. Also ensure that the color of your text and its size improves the readers experience even further. Finally have shorter sentences rather than long ones.
2. Your copy should be easy to scan. Online readers normally tend to scan pages first before deciding if they are going to read them or not. Therefore you should strive to make your copy very easy to scan by using paragraphs, headings, sub-headings, lists and even bullets. This enables the readers to capture as much information as possible when they are scanning.
3. Your website content should be relevant to your website. Always ask yourself if whatever you want to put on your website is related to your site's theme, if it contributes to your business cause and if your readers will be interested with such information. If you answer no to any of the above questions then forget about including it on your website.
4. Your web copy should be free from errors. Spelling, grammatical or factual errors can be a real disaster to your website. These errors tend to spoil your reader's experience and also ruin your website's credibility. To avoid this, proofread your content, let someone else also proofread then edit it until you are satisfied with the outcome.
5. Your website content should be in harmony with the design. Content that is in harmony with the website's design really improves the visitor’s reading experience and makes the visitor stick around more. To achieve this make sure your web developer works closely with whoever is developing the website's content.
6. Finally your copy should have consistency throughout the website. The tone and writing style should be the same all over the website. You can achieve this by having the same person creating all your website content. Remember that any inconsistencies in your copy will definitely baffle your website visitors and force them to leave your website.
Following the above tips as a web designer or website owner will surely improve the content you will be creating for your website. This will in turn improve your visitors' experience that will then turn into customers.
Trackback URL for this blog entry